The idea was to create a super simple, light and efficient blog theme without using Bootstrap or Foundation frameworks and of course with Pinegrow WP.
PG-Blog is a very light and responsive Free WordPress parent theme dedicated to blog writers who like simplicity and who want to focus on the content.
You can use the PG-Blog theme for personal and commercial purposes. It’s also a great way to learn about how to create websites with Pinegrow.
Note: This the the very first version of the PG-Blog theme and while we are working hard to provide a clean result, some issues are still possible 🙂
The theme only contains 4 main templates:
- index.html > index.php
- single.html > single.php
- page.html > page.php
- author.hml > author.php
The structure is very basic and does not (currently) make use of external templates parts other than the headers and footers.
Also, the theme does not have a Menu and the navigation is exclusively available through the site logo that you can replace from the WordPress theme customizer. Visitors can also use the navigation links available on the index and posts pages.
The demo site make use of 4 main plugins:
- Disqus comment system: To handle the comments from your visitors.
- Pastacode: To handle the display of code snippets in posts and pages.
- User Photo: To handle the photo of the authors on the author pages.
- And a customized version of the Starter Theme Functionality Plugin that you can find in the theme package. (read more about this special plugin on the Starter Theme product page)
Note: If you want to clone the behavior of the
demo site(the demo site is not online anymore), you will have to install these 4 plugins.
demo site (the demo site is not online anymore) make use of specific webfonts from fonts.com while the package only refer to standard default fonts. Because you can edit the Pinegrow WP project, you are totally free to customize the theme to your likings with fonts from Google or any other webfonts provider.
Download, install & customize the Theme
- Download the theme: PG-Blog 1.0 (If you want the use very last version, please, update the theme right after by following the instructions HERE)
- In WordPress, from the Appearance > Themes > Add new > Upload Theme > select pg_blog1_0.zip (the ZIP file that you have just downloaded)
- Install and activate the theme
- Select Customize and tweak the theme according to your likings
- Select Your latest posts as Static Front page
- Install the recommended plugins (the Starter Theme Functionality Plugin is included in the theme ZIP file)
- Start writing cool posts!
How to edit the Theme
Note: Basic SASS versions of the stylesheets (CSS) are available in the theme package. You can have a look at my workflow to handle SCSS documents with Pinegrow and external applications HERE.
Always stay up to date with Github Updater
If you want to install and use the PG-Blog theme as is and automatically receive ALL the future updates just like a theme from the WordPress repository, you can install it through the Github-updater plugin.
This plugin was designed to simply update any GitHub/Bitbucket hosted WordPress plugin or theme.
- Download the latest tagged archive (choose the “zip” option).
- Rename the ZIP as github-updater.zip (and not github-updater-develop.zip)
- In WordPress, from Plugins > Add New> Upload Plugin > select github-updater.zip (the ZIP file that you have just downloaded)
- Activate the plugin
Still in your WordPress admin, from Settings > Github Updater proceed to the following configuration.
From the Install Theme tab:
- Enter https://bitbucket.org/earnoud/pg_blog in the Theme URI field
- Set the Remote Repository Host to Bitbucket
- Click on Install Theme
And that’s it!
From now, each time a new version is available, you will receive a notice and you will be able to proceed to the automatic update of the theme!
Convenient isn’t it?
In the coming weeks, we may add more features and tweaks to the PG-Blog theme.
Last updated on January 18, 2019 at 9:49 am