Starter Theme lets you quickly build Bootstrap based WordPress themes with Pinegrow. Starter Theme comes with complete set of WordPress templates and support for Jetpack, WooCommerce and more. Simply pick the templates you need and customise the HTML layout, WP PHP tags and CSS with Pinegrow. That’s much quicker – and more fun – than developing a theme from scratch.
Get Starter Theme for only $59 with lifetime free updates and 30 days money back guarantee!
What is the WordPress Starter Theme?
WordPress Starter Theme is a foundation for quickly developing your own custom themes.
Starter Theme is a paid add-on for Pinegrow PRO with WP. Starter Theme requires Pinegrow PRO with WordPress builder, it will not work without it.
Starter Theme is a plugin for Pinegrow: to create your new custom theme, simply go to New page and add the WordPress templates you need from Starter Theme to your project. On top of that, shared template parts, like different types of post loops, are available from the LIB panel from where you can place them on any page.
The layout is basic and the CSS styling is minimal so that you can easily customize it.
Watch the intro video
What are the benefits of using the WordPress Starter Theme?
- Skip the boring parts of theme development: all standard templates and boilerplate code are ready. Starter Theme lets you go straight to building and customising your theme.
- Starter Theme lets you use a visual approach to designing and coding WordPress themes through the power of Pinegrow’s tools for visually editing HTML and CSS.
- The theme uses template parts (a WordPress recommended best practice) linked with Pinegrow smart components. You can drag template parts from the LIB panel to any page where you need them.
- The most common templates from the WordPress template hierarchy are immediately available as well as basic templates for the most popular e-commerce plugins WooCommerce and Easy Digital Downloads.
- There is no CSS bloat. The CSS is intentionally minimalist and is not meant to be awesome. It only provides what is necessary for a basic display of the default layout + the WordPress CSS essentials. With Pinegrow, you can easily customize the default style.css to fit your needs (SCSS version is also available if you want to use SASS with an external editor).
- Starter Theme is fully compliant with WordPress theme guidelines.
- Generous license terms: you can use a single license of Starter Theme to create as many projects as you want and distribute them in any way you please.
- The theme comes with lifetime free updates (but that’s a limited time special intro deal).
What is inside the package?
- Partial templates available through Smart components
- Minimum CSS styling to ease customization
- Common templates and custom page templates (see list below)
- Breadcrumbs integration (Requires free Yoast WordPress SEO plugin)
- Basic Woocommerce store
- Basic Easy Digital Downloads store
- Jetpack ready
- Fully cutomizable (layout, CSS with SASS version included, features…)
- Functionality plugin included
- 100% Bootstrap (Currently v3.3.6)
- Font Awesome (Currently 4.6.3)
- Translation ready / I18n
- Fully Animator Pro compatible (“Code Free” custom animations, triggers and interactions through Pinegrow GUI)
WordPress common templates
- index.html > index.php
- front-page.html > front-page.php
- home.html > home.php
- category.html > category.php
- author.html > author.php
- page.html > page.php
- attachment.html > attachment.php
- search.html > search.php
- archive.html > archive.php
- 404.html > 404.php
- single.html > single.php
- tag.html > tag.php
- taxonomy.html > taxonomy.php
Custom Page templates
See our documentation about Page Templates.
- page-nosidebar.html > page-nosidebar.php
- page-sidebarleft.html > page-sidebarleft.php
- template-store.html (Easy Digital Download related) > template-store.php
- page-slider.html > page-slider.php (see V1.1 release notes)
Master Page templates
- sliderheader.html > sliderheader.php (see V1.1 release notes)
Read more about Jetpack Custom Content Types.
- archive-jetpack-portfolio.html > archive-jetpack-portfolio.php
- single-jetpack-portfolio.html > single-jetpack-portfolio.php
- archive-jetpack-testimonial.html > archive-jetpack-testimonial.php
- single-jetpack-testimonial.html > single-jetpack-testimonial.php
- taxonomy-jetpack-portfolio-tag.html > taxonomy-jetpack-portfolio-tag.php
- taxonomy-jetpack-portfolio-type.html >taxonomy-jetpack-portfolio-type.php
Read more about WooCommerce integration.
- woocommerce.html > woocommerce.php
You can read more about WooCommerce customization by visiting Five Quick WooCommerce Customization Tips from the WooThemes team.
Easy Digital Downloads templates
Read more about Easy Digital Downloads template files.
- taxonomy-download_category.html > taxonomy-download_category.php
- taxonomy-download_tag.html > taxonomy-download_tag.php
- single-download.html > single-download.php
- archive-download.html > archive-download.php
You need to go further with EDD templates? Watch this video!
bbPress is forum software with a twist from the creators of WordPress. It will allow you to easily setup discussion forums inside your WordPress powered site.
- bbpress.html > bbpress.php
Note: The bbPress template is basically a duplicate of the default Page template with the name bbpress.
Check out the demo site to see everything that Starter Theme can do.
WordPress Starter Theme requires Pinegrow PRO with WordPress builder version 2.71 or newer.
You can also use the trial version of Pinegrow if you don’t own a license yet.
Purchase WordPress Starter Theme
Starter Theme is a great value: you can use it on unlimited personal or commercial projects and get free lifetime updates.
Not sure if Starter Theme is right for you? No problem, we have a 30 days money back guarantee!
Note: You will receive a download link right after your purchase. Your country’s VAT will be added if you’re from EU.
If you’re getting Starter Theme for your company, please note that you need a separate license for every user that will be using Starter Theme in Pinegrow.
How to use WordPress Starter Theme?
First, you need to add Starter Theme as a plugin in Pinegrow (instructions are at the bottom of this page). That’s done only once.
Then, to create a new WordPress theme project based on Starter Theme start a New page:
Select WP Starter Theme and choose the first template that you want to create:
If you don’t select index.html as your first template, it will be automatically added to your project as the theme master page. It’s an important template which will allow you to enter the theme settings and customize the header and footer of your whole theme.
Save your first page in a new folder:
A couple of useful tips show up:
As the first step, from the PRJ tab (project view) open index.html
Then, select the top node of the document from the tree view.
And from the WP tab, configure the WordPress theme settings:
You can read our documentation about How to setup Pinegrow for WordPress theme development for more details about how to configure your HTML template.
Add more templates to your theme with Project -> Add new page, as needed: page.html and single.html are two good candidates for a first step!
You can now play with your templates, modify the layout, tweak the CSS and add some new elements from the LIB panel, you have full creativity freedom over your documents.
If you need help about editing within Pinegrow, please, have a look at our documentation about How to build a layout.
WordPress basic Settings
To preview your theme during editing it is recommended to setup a local instance of WordPress on your computer.
You can read our Useful WordPress Resources documentation for more details about how to do that on your system. When your local instance is ready and fully functional, log in to the admin.
From the settings menu
- Permalinks settings: Post name > http://yoursite-url/sample-post/ + Save.
- Media: Uncheck “Organize my uploads into month- and year-based folders” + Save.
Import demo content to your local instance
Every WordPress site needs content! To make development and testing easier you can import the content from our demo site (posts, pages, images …) to your local WordPress instance:
Download and Install the WordPress Importer plugin
IMPORTANT: The demo content should be imported AFTER WooCommerce plugin setup (see below) to prevent import errors.
Please read the documentation about how to import Theme unit test content and configure your WordPress accordingly. We also recommend you to read the Theme testing process documentation. And finally, if you want to know even more, we have a related documentation on Pinegrow Documentation site!
The WordPress Functionality Plugin
The WordPress functionality plugin is a special bonus plugin included with the WP Starter Theme. It is designed to host theme independent code snippets that extend and customize WordPress including features, optimization and security:
- Remove ‘Editor’ from ‘Appearance’ Menu (security)
- Add the ability to use shortcodes in widgets (feature)
- Prevent WordPress from compressing images (feature)
- Disable any and all mention of emoji’s (optimization)
- Remove items from the <head> section (security)
- Limit the number of post revisions to keep (feature)
- Login Screen: Change login logo (white label, feature)
- Login Screen: Use your own URL for login logo link (feature)
- Login Screen: Set the ‘remember me’ option to be checked (security)
- Login Screen: Don’t inform user which piece of credential was incorrect (security)
- Modify the admin footer text with your own details (white label)
- Add a theme info box into WordPress Dashboard (white label)
- Add Custom Post Types to Tags and Categories in WordPress
- Remove Jetpack Sharing Buttons from Excerpts
- More to come …
Your are encouraged to edit and modify the file wordpress-functionality-plugin.php with your favorite code editor (For example, Atom or Sublime …). All sections are commented, so the process is quite simple.
You can of course add any new settings you need. The functionality plugins can and should contain all of the code that is important for the necessary structure and functionality of your website.
The functionality plugin is available by default (unzipped) in any Starter Theme project folder.
How to install and activate the functionality plugin?
On a local WordPress setup, you can drag and drop the wordpress-functionality-plugin folder directly from your project folder to your WordPress plugins folder then activate it from the Plugins menu.
If you want to install the plugin on a remote WordPress setup, you will have to zip the wordpress-functionality-plugin folder and upload the zipped file through the Upload plugin feature in WordPress,. Again, you will have to activate it. (see previous step)
Other Plugins to activate
Akismet checks your comments against the Akismet Web service to see if they look like spam or not and lets you review the spam it catches under your blog’s “Comments” admin screen.
Advanced Responsive Video Embedder (FREE)
The best WordPress plugin for videos? Supports close to everything you can imagine, still keeping it easy & simple.
Login Logout Menu (FREE)
With this plugin you can now add a real log in/logout item menu with autoswitch when user is logged in or not. Nonce token is present on logout item. 2 titles, one for ‘log in’ and one for ‘logout’ can be set up. Also, you can set the redirecion page you want, just awesome.
Easy Digital Downloads (FREE)
Easy Digital Downloads is a complete e-commerce solution for selling digital and other non-physical products in a light, performant, and easy to use plugin. Rather than attempting to provide every feature under the sun, Easy Digital Downloads makes selling digital simple and complete by providing just the features you need.
Jetpack by WordPress.com (FREE)
Jetpack simplifies managing WordPress sites by giving you visitor stats, security services, speeding up images, and helping you get more traffic. Jetpack is a free plugin.
It is recommended that you activate the development mode.
Important: While in Development Mode, some features will not be available at all as they require a WordPress.com for all functionality—Related Posts, for example. Other features will have reduced functionality to give developers a good-faith representation of the feature. For example, Tiled Galleries requires the WordPress.com Photon CDN; however, in Development Mode, Jetpack provides a fallback so developers can have a similar experience during development and testing.
- Contact Form
- Custom Content Types
- Extra Sidebar widgets
- Related Posts
- Site Stats
- Tiled Galleries
- Widget Visibility
Relevanssi – A Better Search (FREE)
Relevanssi replaces the standard WordPress search with a better search engine, with lots of features and configurable options. You’ll get better results, better presentation of results – your users will thank you.
WooCommerce is a free eCommerce plugin that allows you to sell anything, beautifully. Built to integrate seamlessly with WordPress, WooCommerce is the world’s favorite eCommerce solution that gives both store owners and developers complete control.
Import WooCommerce Dummy Data:
WooCommerce Menu Cart (FREE)
This plugin installs a shopping cart button in the navigation bar.
Yoast SEO (FREE)
This plugin is written from the ground up by Joost de Valk and his team at Yoast to improve your site’s SEO on all needed aspects.
Advanced > Enable Breadcrumbs
Recommended and useful plugins
WP Rocket (PREMIUM)
WP Rocket is a caching and performance optimization plugin to improve the loading speed of WordPress websites.
Unsplash WP (FREE)
Unsplash WP is the fastest way to upload high quality stock photos from unsplash.com directly to your media library — all without ever leaving WordPress!
Reveal Template (FREE)
This plugin displays the exact template being utilized to render the currently displayed page in WordPress.
Quick Featured Images (FREE)
The plugin ‘Quick Featured Images’ helps you bulk managing featured images, setting automatic default featured images to save your time.
Bootstrap Shortcodes for WordPress (FREE)
Implements Bootstrap 3 styles and components in WordPress through shortcodes. This plugin creates a simple, out of the way button just above the WordPress editor which pops up the plugin’s documentation and shortcode examples for reference and handy “Insert Example” links to send the example shortcodes straight to the editor. There are no additional buttons to clutter up your screen, just great, easy to use shortcodes!
Scroll Back To Top (FREE)
Scroll Back to Top is a WordPress plugin to add a button that appears only when users scroll down the page allowing them to scroll to the top of the page. The plugin comes pre-configured and is fully functional on activation.
Create a Screenshot for your WordPress theme
The screenshot must be named screenshot.png, and should be placed at the root level of your project directory. The screenshot should accurately show the theme design and saved in PNG format. The recommended image size is 1200×900.
The screenshot will only be shown as 387×290, but the over double-sized image allows for high-resolution viewing on HiDPI displays.
You can watch our video about How to create a screenshot for your WordPress theme.
Package your WordPress theme
When your theme is done, you can create a package so that you will be able to install it on any remote WordPress setup.
The process is simple:
From your local wordpress setup, in wp-content/themes locate your theme directory, ensure that the style.css, screenshot.png and the main template files are in in the theme’s root folder and then just zip the theme’s folder.
Your theme is now ready for the primetime!
If you plan to publish your masterpiece on the WordPress repository or sell it on a marketplace, it can be a good idea to read the Theme Review Requirements and Documentation.
Install the Starter Theme
- Unzip the Starter Theme package somewhere on your hard drive.
- In Pinegrow, File > Manage libraries & Plugins > Load Plugin > Select <location of the extracted archive>/pinegrowplugin/pg.plugin.starter.theme.js -> and click Add.
IMPORTANT: It’s not enough to just to copy the pinegrowplugin folder. The whole Starter Theme package is needed, and JS plugin added from there.
This operation needs to be done only once.
After that, the Starter Theme is available in File -> New page.
There are no distribution restrictions for themes created with the help of the WordPress Starter theme: build sites for clients, sell themes in marketplaces or give them away for free. Reselling or sharing the WordPress Starter theme itself is not allowed.
Get WordPress Starter Theme
Get Starter Theme for $59.00 with lifetime updates. Not sure if Starter Theme is right for you? No problem, we have a 30 days money back guarantee! Note: You will receive a download link right after your purchase. Your country’s VAT will be added if you’re from EU. If you’re getting Starter Theme for your company, please note that you need a separate license for every user that will be using Starter Theme in Pinegrow.
Last updated on August 3, 2018 at 8:08 am